Friday, October 31, 2008

Pregancy Update

1. We chose an obstetrician, and I had my first prenatal appointment this week, and will get an ultrasound later today.

Before getting pregnant, I was surprised to learn that Yiannis was completely in favor of a home birth. However, though I have a supportive husband, there are no midwifes to be found in this area of Minnesota. I did find one “traditional midwife” (which means she has no formal certificate or license) an hour away, but I would prefer our midwife to have had formal didactic training. I am not in favor of traveling elsewhere for the birthing experience. Also, insurance usually only pays within the same state.

However, I do have a very good friend who just became a certified midwife. Unfortunately, most likely she will be in West Africa next summer. She would love to assist at home in the birth if her plans change. So, we will see.

2. The hospital is about a mile away. This is good! Maybe, we can even go on a slow walk, stopping for the contractions of course, and check in, next June :).

3. We interviewed the obstetrician, first, before deciding on him, and he ensured our trust (at least for now). He was supportive of us only wanting one ultrasound (if the pregnancy isn’t high-risk) and his c-section rates (20%) are lower than the national average (28%) and the average for the local hospital. 20% still seems pretty high to me, but the reasons he gave for having to perform them seemed very justified.

4. The clinic actually recommends doulas, which apparently, show up at some of the pre-labor classes to introduce themselves. We will see…

Being a nurse, helps me feel very prepared for this pregnancy thing. The OB course I had as an undergraduate was fascinating to me, and we did a 6-week OB rotation where we were able to "assist" in some vaginal and cesarean births, as well as do postpartum teaching. Then, I did another quarter rotation in with a Woman's NP just doing the prenatal exams on women.

I have seen a woman laboring, the baby go into distress, and helped rush her to the OR.

So, I know even if you have the best intentions of a nice "natural birth" complications can happen.

Those of you who have experiences labor or birth are probably in hysterics by now :). Yes, having never experienced personally, any of the above, I am sure I have a lot to learn.

I feel weird posting all these personal decisions and it feels too early to ask some of the questions I have about preparing for labor. But, I do have some questions, so later in the pregancy I will be asking for some advice....

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Yeay, Beth! It's fun to be sharing your journey from a distance. It sounds like you have been doing your homework and I'm glad you found an OB on the same page. In Colorado certified midwives are required to deliver in the hospital, which was just fine with me. (Especially with #2--it was great to lay around, recover, be the "patient", not be at home with dishes and laundry and chores).
Regarding your previous post about staying home--having worked through two pregnancies (full time with the first and part time with the second), I can say that not working outside the home while pregnant sounds like the way to go! I remember wishing that I would have to go on bedrest. There are some advantages to working, but the time goes so fast--before you know it, you will have a constant, needy companion, and preparing for it can (should?) be a full time job! Thanks for the updates and I look forward to more.