Monday, February 02, 2009

Daily thoughts

How many times a day do I think “I wish that I owned…..” such and such? Believe me, this is at least a daily thought. Often it is a particular book (see last post), or a particular learning devise to magically instill Modern Greek into my head.

I own Rosetta Stone, two good Greek textbooks one which comes with a nice learning CD, other Greek language workbooks, Greek music, and a nice children’s Greek Bible. Plus, I have a husband to practice with. Believe me, I have the resources to learn Greek if I really chose to.

So, why do more Greek children’s books, Greek cartoons on DVD, Greek radio on the internet and so forth tempt me? Because I am looking for the easy solution to somehow plop this language into my head. It is easier to blame the lack of some desired object on my failures, than my lack of industry, perseverance and patience.

Or why am I waiting for my next trip to a monastery for the next religious book to buy, before I make time daily to do a little religious reading. Yes, I want to buy “The Lives of the Saints” but does this mean I should never meditate on the Psalter?

Thus far this post isn’t very cheery.

But really, I am happy that I have to put off owning these things! I am happy that I have a budget and don’t have the freedom and accessibility to quickly search on the internet for every passing fling that springs into my head.

And I am happy to be living on one income.

One of the things I most disliked about being single was having a good job and yet not knowing what to do with my income. Of course, I tried to save, but without a clear goal of saving up for something, it took the pleasure out of having money to spend. Suddenly, my thrifty college days (in retrospect) were lovely; it was nice to know that I shouldn’t spend money on such and such because I really needed the money for next semester’s tuition. Why was this nice? Is it nice to simply be frugal? No, but I was developing self-control which I later learned to be far nicer than having money.

St. John Chrysostom teaches that we should teach our children to despise wealth. In his 21st homily on Ephesian 6:1-4 (another pearl of great parenting advice) he writes, “Therefore, wealth is a hindrance, because it leaves us unprepared for the hardships of life. So, let us raise our children in such a way that they can face any trouble, and not be surprised when difficulties come; let us bring them up in the disciple and instruction of the Lord.” And earlier in the essay, “If from the beginning we teach them (our children) to love true wisdom, they will have greater wealth and glory than riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth, but who requires nothing.”

I didn’t intent this post to be about parenting, but the hard truth is that whatever is in my heart will be passed down to my children. This passage helps stir me up to trying to detach myself more from these daily thoughts of needing more.

No, what I need is more virtue, and may I daily be plagued with more thoughts pertaining to acquiring true wisdom.

1 comment:

Artimom said...

Hi Beth. I picked up the phone to call you but then Claire decided she was desperately hungry and I got her dinner ready...next thing you know I put her to sleep and it is too lat to call Minnesota.
I just read your posting from the past few weeks and some of the comments too. I miss you.
I was just thinking of this issue of wanting things after reading in A Mother's Rule of Life by
Holly Pierlot
She also talks about not keeping for our exclusive use things we don't need. I went through my closet and dresser today and bagged up some things for the thrift store.