We found a “Pregnancy and Nutrition” class given at a Natural Foods coop in Minneapolis by Jennette Turner, and decided to invest in this option first, before forking out the big bucks for more detailed consultation/s.
It was so very helpful!
I walked away with some good ideas of what I want to change based on research, not feeling stressed about the whole thing, and motivated to learn more about healthy eating and nutrition. I am less stressed about gaining too much weight, as before I couldn’t decide if the disadvantages of gaining too much weight would in the long run wipe out all the benefits of getting excellent nutrition for the baby (A mom with low self-image and lack of energy isn’t the best thing for the family!). After the class, I was convinced that if we get the proper nutrition, even if we get too much, having the right building blocks in our body will help more in the long run, and make the weight easier to lose, than not getting what the body needs.
Some basic things we decided to change:
1.) Avoid low-fat/non-fat dairy and other products during pregnancy and beyond. Yep, we are switching to whole milk. Hooray!
2.) Soak legumes for 12 hours before using.
3.) Avoid most soy products, including soy milk and soy protein powder. Tofu is still ok if not used in excess. Link here for article why.
4.) Eat liver once a week during pregnancy, or if I can’t stomach it, then codliver oil 1 Tbsp a day (since I am now on a prenatal Omega -3 supplement, I will reduce this to 1-2 tsp. a day).
5.) Use coconut oil or palm oil some in cooking, and stick with using olive oil only for everything else.
6.) Shop a bit more carefully for natural products. Only buy free-range eggs, nitrate-free meat, and free-range meat. I have no idea how expensive this will be, but nutritionally, I think a little meat can go a long way.
7) Avoid all refined carbohydrates as much as possible. Whole wheat EVERYTHING!
8) No more black tea during pregnancy.
Dinner with Jeannette also looks like a very good resource to help make healthful menu planning easier.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment