
Reverend Father Michael Trigg was the first priest I came to know. Prior to Father Michael, my spiritual pastors had been middle-aged men who would have no problem wearing t-shirt and jeans to church.
Interestingly, though I never saw Father Michael dressed in anything but his clerical cassock or collar, Father Michael was the most approachable pastor, I had yet known, and I received more spiritual direction and help from this distinguished gentleman than I had previously known possible.
As an enquirer into the Orthodox Christian faith I was directed to ask questions to Father Michael. At first I was a bit perturbed by this idea. The man who dressed in heavy and noble vestments, donned the mtire, and most importantly who served the people the Body and Blood of Christ was supposed to take time to talk to me. Amazing!
I thank God for entrusting me to the hands of Father Michael as my first encounter with a priest and confessor. However, I don’t think I was the one to approach him. Instead, as all men of great intelligence, he came down to my level. “What books have you read so far on the Orthodox faith?” was one initial question I received.
I don’t deny that my awe of Father Michael ever completely vanished. It was always a bit of an effort to put myself forward and ask for a blessing or simply say hello. After all, he was so loved that there were always plenty of people hoping to delight in a conversation with him. Yet, he helped me learn to trust even those we fear.
Father Michael was a man who had something to give, thus, in even a simple greeting or blessing; the soul would be uplifted and lighter even after a simple exchange of the holy kiss. Intellectually, from our Father in Christ, I learned about the nature of the Church and some about ante-Nicene Church Fathers. My heart learned the importance of guarding trust in relationships, prayer, and the richness of the Eastern Orthodox Faith. Father Michael respected the freedom God has given to humanity, and in turn allowed his spiritual children freedom, tempered with love and prayer, to take their own steps of faith toward the Divine. His Christianity was evangelical, because his words touched the heart.
Coming into Orthodoxy one suddenly encounters the idea of a “spiritual father.” I once asked Father Michael to help me better understand this concept. Namely, is having a spiritual father as easy as saying, “________, will you be my spiritual father?” He explained a relationship with a spiritual father is one that is developed over time as trust and love is developed. Thus, I felt peace that though I needed a father confessor, this idea of a “spiritual father” could remain a bit foreign to my life, until this relationship would in good time come to be. I think this response reflects Father Michael’s humility. Though, he had much to give, he did not try to push his faith into us, but waited for us to come.
My fiancĂ©, Yiannis, remembers meeting Father Michael at least twice, though he expressed upon his repose that he feels closer to him than corresponds with the little personal contact they had. When Father Michael met Yiannis he wasn’t shy in letting him know that he thought I was deserving of a “nice, young man” (or perhaps he just knew I needed a lot of help!) Father Michael wanted to see me become more of a lady, and I am glad Yiannis took the hint.
I mourn the brevity of time I had to know Father Michael. Men of a gentle, faithful, logical yet mystical, and passionate soul like that of Father Michael are rare. But mostly, we give thanks for his beautiful life, which opened our hearts more to be able to receive the One who is Holy.
As our beloved Father Michael made a point to remember those who have gone before, we remember you, Father Michael. May your soul rest in peace while beholding the ineffable beauty of our Lord. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment